Saturday, August 28, 2010

Summer Fun

I have been terrible about blogging:( I need to be extra good too, because I started working on printing all my posts into a blog book for a family journal--which I'm so excited to have!

It has been a pretty chill summer. Although for Chris, he had some major stress up until mid August. He had his qualifying exams before a panel of research professors where he had to give an oral presentation of his research and they asked him questions. If you pass your oral exam and presentation then they let you continue in their PhD program and your research, if they don't approve then they give you a Master's Degree and send you on your way (in other words, you couldn't cut it out to do a PhD and therefore are thrown out) I wasn't worried about Chris at all, but of course he was super stressed out about it and I didn't see him for a few months while he studied and prepared. But he did pass and is now a bit more relaxed for the summer, although he just submitted his first first-author paper to a journal and is anxiously waiting to hear back. I'm so proud of him and all that he is accomplishing! He truly loves what he's doing and it makes me so happy for him:)

Bailey and I have been chilling together since I didn't take any classes or anything. I'm anxiously awaiting the quarter to start end of Sept. though! I have a bunch of placement exams for theory and keyboard competence classes as well as try-outs for a private piano teacher and the performance track. I'm really excited, but nervous! I've been taking from a local teacher here in Davis who is wonderful and has been whipping me back into shape for the try-outs:)

Bailey has had a ballet class this summer and loved it! It was so cute to see her dancing on her tip-toes and flinging the ribbons around while she danced. She is so much fun and I have LOVED having this special time with just me and her. She is expecially excited to start preschool this fall when I go back full-time. She will have preschool each morning and I pick her up after lunch. We have visited a few times and she absolutely loves all the activites and social atmosphere. She tells everyone about how she gets to go to preschool in Sept while mommy is in school and she gets a "Dora lunchbox". :)

We have done a lot of camping this summer. These pictures are from our fourth camping trip we've taken. We met Chris' family up outside of Redding at the base of Mt. Shasta and had a blast camping for 4 days and 3 nights. The campground was beautiful with waterfalls and hiking trails in walking distance, very private campgrounds that were heavily wooded, and no bathrooms (but they a running water spicket at least) It was a wonderful trip!










1 comment:

Chelsea Wilkes said...

I love gettig to catch up on the news with your little fam. I love Bailey and I have only met her once! She is the cutest little thing! Her and Nikki would be best buds if we lived close. Love you guys! Miss you! Hopefully we will see you sooner than later!