Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Fun

Well this wasn't exactly what you'd call "fun"...Bailey had Roseola (a form of measles) and was super sick for about a week. with a high fever and rash all over her body. The poor little thing was pretty lethargic (for one as active as her) and would just lay on the floor watching Baby Einsteins and sleep. I would just lay next to her and stroke her hair and she would sleep and then watch, and then sleep, and then watch:) It was so sad!



But she's all good now and ready to play again. (that's a sticker on her head..she's been obsessed lately)


She "helped" me make cranberry, orange muffins for breakfast one morning. She sat on the counter next to me and even stirred the batter (though lots spilled out:) She loves helping me do things now and feels like such a big girl:) She thoroughly enjoyed the batter licking at the end!

trying on Dad's new shoes:)


out for a stroll (she loves speed bumps and goes over them over and over again)

So, Chris and I have been trying to better understand each other's passions because sometimes when a couple has two totally different interests, you don't really appreciate what the other loves to do. This can eventually lead to not appreciating each other and growing apart, etc. So we've decided to make a special effort to prevent this and we each take turns about once a week sharing one of our passions with the other person:) For instance, we've had an "art" night where I taught Chris some simple techniques using the Chinese paint brush and ink. We had a "science" night where we made a homemade volcano with homemade play dough and then took it outside to erupt with baking soda and vinegar (dyed red of course:), and we had a music appreciation night, and now we are on a much bigger project! And don't get me wrong, it's not like we don't share ANY interests--we both love the outdoors, camping, biking, etc. but this has helped us get even closer. Especially because i don't always understand what Chris talks about when he comes home from work and tells me about what happened in the lab. And Chris doesn't always get it when I start rambling on about music, theory and what my students are learning. So ANYWAYS, we took on a new project of dissecting a frog. Kinda creepy, I know, but Chris has a little dissection kit, and ordered a frog online for us to dig into:) LOL I thought it would totally gross me out, but its so cool! I actually really enjoy science when it's anatomy and I took some courses in college back when I wanted to be a nurse. This last night was our first night and we only got the skin off and learned so many cool things about it! It's such a process that I've never really appreciated before! Like, did you know that frogs don't need to drink water because it just gets soaked up by there skin? So you can think we're weird, but we're happy being weird together:) LOL

wow, what a creepy picture of me...

the REAL scientist:)
We have yet to discover the gender of our frog...if it's a girl we will call her Frieda--a boy and he will be Freddy:) We'll keep you posted! (cause I'm sure you wanna hear all about it)

5 comments:

Steph said...

Question of the day...if that was only your first day of frog dissecting...what do you do with in the mean time??? The fridge??? I bet frog tasting left-overs are wonderful!!

Jo Lynn said...

Dev, you didn't tell me about her rash and being so sick!!! That's terrible, I'm so sorry you had such a bummer of a week. I'm laughing so hard right now with the fast that you seriously ordered a flippin frog to dissect in your own house!!!! I did that in like seventh grade and I'm just crackin up that you guys are doing it now! I love the picture Devrey, so cute!
I do think it's great that you guys are sharing your interests with one another, that's pretty awesome!!!!!
Call me so we can go swim this week. :)

Annie said...

Sid has had Roseola a few times its always gone quickly. I love the Idea of sharing your passions with Chris every week. I'll have to try to pull Tyson away from WOW and try it.

Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome!! I think the sharing your interests together is a great idea, we all need to focus on that a little more..And the picture of you with the frog is a little creepy I'm not gonna lie..lol..I think it is awesome. And with the Roseola thing, no fun!! Somehow Zack had it twice this last month. You just feel so bad for the little ones, but it is great to see that she is doing better!!

KPackard said...

Oh man, I totally started smelling formahldahyde (sp?) when I read this! Do they still come in that? Hopefully your house didn't stink :) And poor Bailey girl! I'm glad that she is feeling better!